Friday, November 6, 2009

Who wants to make a movie with me?


Joanie 4 Jackie from Miranda July on Vimeo.

Oh Ms July! your riot girl bleach blonde fro and DIY ambition really makes me happy, warm and fuzzy! So when i found out that Miranda July and a group of NY college students were reviving Joanie 4 Jackie I almost pooped myself!

What its all about:

YOU ALWAYS SUSPECTED IT, AND NOW YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE:

Girls and women are making movies every day.

EVERY woman who sends her movie to Joanie 4 Jackie receives a Chainletter tape. Each tape is an unpredictable compilation of 10 lady-made movies including her own. These video Chainletters and their companion Viewer's Digests are part of a continual correspondence between women moviemakers and with you.

The first 7 Chainletters are available for you to own.


MOVIE MAKING

There's two variables on the video camera. There's the lens: The eye. This is the same eye that's watching you all the time anyways if you're a woman. Especially in public, but even when you're alone in your room. The eye is programmed into your brain. When you are making a movie you stop pretending that you aren't aware of the eye. THEY ARE LOOKING AT YOUR ASS NO MATTER WHAT YOU WEAR.
THE DAD IN YOUR HEAD WATCHED YOU MASTURBATE.
YOU BRUSH YOUR HAIR INTO THE THE SHAPE OF THE HOLE IN HIS HEART. You stop pretending that you are innocent and unaffected by the eye. You turn and face it: the camera. You look into its eye and see yourself and you say: "I see you watching me." I know you are there and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. I admit the role I play everyday in this movie made not by me. I'm not embarrassed because just surviving being watched everyday has trained me to be an expert on the eye. Every woman is an expert on the eye. An expert actress, and an expert at controlling situations while being watched. THIS IS MOVIE MAKING. And making movies means that you are a watcher. Of course you are. You have to be self-conscious all the time just to take care of yourself. So there's the eye and there's one other variable: the on/off button, which is about control. Because this is the one time that you can turn the eye off. You can keep secrets or you can tell lies or you can tell the real truth thru manipulation of the eye-on / eye-off. I'm talking about editing. Editing equals gorgeous control. DEAR DR. WILKINS, I AM MAKING A MOVIE. IT IS ABOUT OUR APPOINTMENTS. I JUST THOUGH I WOULD WARN YOU. DEAR DAD, I AM MAKING A MOVIE. IT IS ABOUT YOU. I PLAY THE PART OF YOU.

DEAR CARRIE, I AM MAKING A MOVIE. IT IS ABOUT THAT GAME WE USED TO PLAY CALLED EVERLASTING LOVE IN THE SHADOW OF THE BLANKET. I WANT YOU TO BE THE LEADING LADY.

the website

No comments:

Post a Comment