On Thursday, Dec 23, Daniel Garcia, an 18-year old old highschool student who has been living, going to school, working, and organizing alongside No One Is Illegal-Toronto in Parkdale, was racially profiled, 'randomly' IDd and handed over to Immigration Enforcement by Toronto Police. He is presently at the Rexdale Immigration Holding Centre awaiting deportation along with his sister who was separately arrested.
Daniel and his sister filed for a refugee claim in Canada in 2007 after they were assaulted in Mexico for her sexual orientation, and her partner was murdered. As is common practice in Canada for people from Mexico, his as well as his sister's refugee claims were arbitrarily denied. At 18, without a lawyer, and based on incorrect advice, he filed a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) application to stay his deportation on the grounds that his life would be threatened in Mexico.
Unknown to him, at the time of his being detained on Dec 23., Daniel's PRRA had been rejected.
A 'Friends of Daniel Garcia' committee has been established, that has organized a public meeting, a rally and mass flyering in the last few days and is presently calling for:
(1) Daniel Garcia's release from detention and a stay on his deportation.
(2) That Daniel be granted a Temporary Resident Permit
(3) That Daniel be granted Permanent Residence in Canada on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds
At the same time, communities across the city are demanding:
(4) An end to racial profiling and cooperation with Immigration Enforcement by Toronto Police!
(5) Status for All!
PLEASE ACT NOW! Sign the Petition, Call the Minister, Write an Email calling for Daniel's deportation to be stopped!
We need to act together to stop the violence of exclusionary immigration, violent detentions and deportations that impacts migrant communities every day.
(1) SIGN THE PETITION at http://www.gopetition.com/petition/41599.html
(2) CALL JASON KENNEY at 613-992-2235 and demand Status for Daniel
(3) EMAIL the Ministers of Immigration and Immigration Enforcement: http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/DanielLetter
(4) COMMENT on media coverage in support of Daniel: http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/DanielMedia
For more information, extensive media coverage, and backgrounder, visit
or email email@example.com
Join the Status for Daniel facebook page: