Friday, May 28, 2010

American Apparel Is Not Interested In Your Plus-Size Dollars

Recently, LA-based BBW, adult star, erotic performer and model April Flores went to American Apparel. She asked the showroom rep if they ever considered making plus sizes, and the woman told Flores, "That's not our demographic."

Lillian Behrendt saw this anecdote on Flores' Facebook page and blogged about it at her site, My Unacceptable Body. Behrendt writes:

It's funny that youth-centric companies like American Apparel are so fascist about the size of the women they'll cater to, but are much more permissive when it comes to their male clientele. This is where I found the loophole through which I have been supporting a company that openly discriminates against people who look like me. I wear American Apparel men's briefs. Almost exclusively. I probably have about 20 pairs. The picture of me on the About page? I'm wearing a purple acid-washed deep V-neck from American Apparel. I have lots of their deep V-neck shirts, not to mention a pair of suspenders, some dresses that are WAY TOO SMALL and two bowties. Not your demographic? Are you fucking KIDDING me?


...read more

No comments:

Post a Comment