Tuesday, June 2, 2009

WE'RE NOT DEAD

For the record.

I've been up to some interesting things of late, mainly working 9 to 5, it's a strange break from the life of a student. And has put me face to face with a reality that we just don't see from the ever-so-safe bubble of gender studies. I always seem to encounter sexism in the workforce, and while I might not be getting my ass slapped, it doesn't mean it's not there.

Other things include watching old movies: like The Philidelphia Story, which I love. To pieces, Katherine Hepburn is so hard core, she's totally a punk rocker from the 40's. Or maybe not, but just as cool. Also, I love Cary Grant, especially as C. K. Dexter-Haven (honestly, what an amazing name). While by today's standards the story is relatively tame, in 1940 it was significantly more scandalous. While pre-second wave feminism, the story doesn't jar my feminist sensibilities too much (except for Uncle Willy, I don't tolerate pinching). Also, I love a black-and-white movie with lots of drunk people, especially Jimmy Stewart hiccoughing and screaming out "C. K. Dexter-Haven". I'll write more about this later, I'm going on a Cary Grant Binge.

hating Dimitri the Lover: He's a skeeze bag. the end.

listening to Stevie Nicks: She is a rocker. Oh yeah. There's nothing like one bad-ass lady who can rock and wear crazy clothes. Listen to "The Edge of Seventeen" "The Chain" and "Stand Back".

Getting ready for pride with my new dyke hair

reading Beebo Brinker, and Brideshead Revisited.

and More.

4 comments:

  1. Why hate Dimitri The Lover?

    http://www.dimitrithelover.com

    http://www.torontorealmen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took the time to peruse the above two links. The first was both disturbing and rotfl hilarious, especially the "Banned Animations" section (though I did not care much for the feminists suffering untimely deaths in the "Toronto Real Men" animation, the "Cruicifixion of Dimitri" animation made me a fan).

    However, the second link to the "Toronto Real Men Meeting Announcement" was very, very offensive. The idea that Dimitri The Lover and his cohorts can "convert" dykes to bisexuality is just plain ridiculous. Also, the note on homosexuality at the bottom which talks about it being due to a "congenital brain abnormality" is totally batty. I viewed the link to the documentary about Dimitri The Lover near the top of the announcement. He obviously gets away with such offensive rants because of his charm and looks.

    Why is it that so many sociopaths are seductive in both looks and speech?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seductive in looks and speech? He looks like a eurotrash rapist, guy's nasty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second link to the Toronto Real Men announcement is just plain disturbing. I disagree with the "eurotrash rapist" comment. Instead, I think Dimitri looks more like the "metrosexuals" he keeps critisizing. Typical Toronto Gino, sans the gold chains.

    ReplyDelete