Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm done with all the shame.


I’d like to talk about size. I’m not skinny nor have I ever been. I would not consider myself fat either. For one thing the term is fully loaded with shame, guilt and gluttony. Though there are many fat feminist mafia’s out there in defence of size, I have not, personally, been able to reclaim the term. I also do not think I am fat, because that always seems to imply being unhealthy, which I am not.


I’d like to talk about size because I am not the only one out there who does not see people of their shape and size represented in the media. I would like to talk about size because I am not the only one would like to be heard, seen and respected as a human being who is not a size 2. I would like to talk about size because I am not the only one would like to be heard, seen and respected as a sexual, happy, fulfilled human being and not someone filled with shame and self-loathing for enjoying a piece of cake.


These are deeply important issues to me, and many people in the world who have since the shattering of blissful childhood ignorance found the world to be difficult when you are above the “average” size. Simple things like finding clothes that fit, and make you feel comfortable and attractive in your own skin, are difficult when you are of a certain size. (Finding clothes was close to traumatic for me as an adolescent). Growing up as a larger person can be hellish, adolescents are not known for being particularly nice. Even after childhood teasing, there is harassment and discrimination within the workforce to face.


I would ideally like to represent women of size as being silenced, yet I would also like promote them as sexual beings. We deserve to be seen, heard, respected and represented. So, I hope that we can with our installations represent size and sexuality respectfully while accurately portraying the silence people face from not being represented in our society.
-babbitthica

No comments:

Post a Comment